For Judy (and me in fast pocket water) a wading staff is an absolute for safety, and recently I picked up a folding staff for Judy so we can take in on airline flights, without having to deal with oversized baggage.
But there was one feature desired, adding a mounting point for a GoPro camera. So here is my hack to adding a 1/4-20 thread insert into the top of the staff.
Remove the top 2.5cm (1″) cork, with a dozuki (stiff, fine tooth blade) and clean. Note that the top of the shaft, the manufacturer uses epoxy to secure the shock cord inplace.
In a standard chuck in a lathe, using an acrylic round, drill in the holes for the threaded insert and to fit the staff shaft. (2 different diameters and drilled to depth of each joint),
Continue with the standard chuck, shape the base with a slight concave, so as when you press to fit the top onto the cord, you will provide mild compression of the cork to handle any “un-even” cutting of the cork.
Using a Beall Collet, secure the round to shape the outer diameter and turn to shape – in this case the diameter of the cork and break the edges at the top and bottom.
Using micro-mesh, finish wet sand (15000).
Secure with an epoxy paste and clamp clean with a mild compression. Please note orientation, as I do not want any excess flow to go where I am going to put the threaded insert.
After some fooling around, I decided to epoxy in a brass 1/4-20 insert with exterior thread versus a press fit. The press fit is cleaner, but the bond was not as strong.
One more step, not shown, using a syringe, going into the well below the threaded insert, put in some warm low fluid epoxy, so the bottom thread is capture in epoxy. Set upright.
If you get some “splash” onto the thread, use a 1/4-20 tap to clean out the thread.
Most tripod heads are female, as is this solution, so you will need to use a 1/4″ thread bar to make the final connection.
- 1/4-20 Brass Threaded Insert
- 1/4-20 Rod
- 1 1/2″Round – it will get wet, so think of your finish
- Epoxy Paste
- Lathe with Chuck and Centre / Drill Chuck
- Drill Bits for shaft and threaded insert
- Turning Tools – Used a parting tool and Skew.
- Beall Collet
- Finishing Paper or Mesh
- As it was Acrylic, no varnish required.
- Bar-Pipe Clamp – 6′ or longer
- Epoxy Mixing and Cleaning Materials (inc Spatula)
- 1/4-20 tap
… anyway, incase, you want to do a similar hack, this gives a good start for any handy person.
Yesterday, a Ruffed Grouse flew hard into the window yesterday, and though sad, the death was quick, and we harvest the breast (nice off the barbeque) and features for future fishing flies. It was a beautiful bird and here are some close ups of the feathers.
An update on my setup with James Green DH 7wt 10′ setup. In the last few months, I have moved over to OPST Commando Heads. With a Snap T Spey Cast and the short aggressive head it is allowing me to get the fly, with the trees on my back.
You need a relaxed cast, and I still amazed at how light the rod is, so it is fun rod for small crowded rivers.
Right now I have a 350 gr line + MOW Medium Tips, but I am looking to order and try a heavier line (I have tried lighter lines, but the 350 is the best fit of the lines I do have on hand).
From day to day the changes in the sunlight is noticeable, and though still intense in the day, the length of the solar day is quickly disappearing as we approach autumn.
So what remains is the last blooms of the summer.
I am truly been impressed with the Phlox this year, and I guess it shows how nice they can be, when the deer do not eat them.